Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Complicated Water Situation

Romeo and Juliet was a great experience in my opinion not only because it made me feel for the characters but it made me want to try and join the movie and help characters out in situations that could of been fixed; I also liked Romeo and Juliet because I could contrast the original book to the movie like how the book is way more complex.

Water, water was a key factor to Romeo and Juliet not only for how it was used in the background but how it was used to show love connection and even death at some scenes in the movie. For example when Mercutio was slowly dying rain started falling to show how his soul was breaking away from him and the tiny raindrops that made up his soul came pouring out after he died. The usage of water was a dull thing at first for the fact that water made up most scenes but then once the quantities and forms of water increased or decreased I realized what had really been going on.

I also thought of water as 2 big families but seeing it as one could make sense, this can be seen when Romeo and Juliet's bond's to family start to deteriorate. The water (family) would turn more into a gas, and spread around try and get Romeos relationship to end. I'm trying to say that the families of both teenagers are not really enforcing love but they're not completely against it.

Even though this story between these "Star crossed lovers" is complicated I still get what the director/author is trying to express with his imagery of water. I think he is trying to state that relationships can last but it takes a matter of time before they break down and don’t stick as one.

2 comments:

  1. I definately could've explained my theory more if I had my notebook and this is way too short ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you said "to show his soul was breaking" when Mercutio died. Someone with so much soul and personality that dead,was gone!
    -Anouk

    ReplyDelete