Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Everyone has their own story

Samantha Seiples style of writing in GHOST IN THE FOG really helped me understand the secrets and facts about world war II. Her interesting style of writing helped people in world war II stand out in different sections of the book ; but what made it interesting was she didnt only write about the good people but also the enemies.

Seiples writing seemed like a memoir and it was interesting how she incorparated it into non fiction or even non fiction. Firstly I find her writing interesting because it didnt only help people stand out but it helped their traits and their conflicts stand out as well. Doing this made every chapter fresh with new people to learn about and it also gave us background information of how a character got to where they were. I think Seiple's style of doing this was unique because it helped the history of the war not get boring by throwing everything in a clump, instead she spread everyones story out and let their voices be heard.

Another thing I liked about Seiple's writing was she alternated between 3rd person writing and 1st person writing which helped balance the characters stories and also the war itself. Balancing the stories and war made me feel engaged and at points I actually felt like I was one of the people in the war, I also hated some decisions the U.S made at first but after I realized what they were doing, I realized it helped them in the war.

As a non-fiction book it really helped the book stay engaging it also helped the reader understand different characters take on something instead of just one soldier/guard. It mainly helped the book stay fresh because each person had a voice that really spoke out to me with their actions.

1 comment:

  1. i love your mind dude. i agree with mostly everything you said. i have not read this book but now you have me interested. im not one who enjoys reading much non-fiction or historical stuff but the way you explain how the author engages you seems very intriguing. i get lost a lot in those kinds of books and it would help if an author can keep me engaged.

    ReplyDelete